[conspire] [Gimp-user] PNG troubles

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Aug 10 18:03:52 PDT 2018

Quoting Ruben Safir (ruben at mrbrklyn.com):

> http://libpng.org/pub/png/spec/1.2/PNG-Compression.html

...which in no way dictates how to do zlib compression.  It's exactly as
I said: How to do zlib compression is specified -- as I said -- in
RFC-1950.  How to do de-compression is stated in RFC-1951.

> I don't know if you are off on a tanget or whatever, but if PNG wasn't
> specific about how the files decompressed, it would be useless
> altogether for saving archival image files.

No.  Pay attention:  How do do zlib compression isn't specified in the
PNG specs:  The PNG specs refer readers to zlib's specs in the RFCs.
It's _right there_, sir.  This should not be difficult.

> This is a bit insulting and is not true.

if you are alleging factual inaccuracy on my part, go ahead and point it
out (if in any way of public interest, which I greatly doubt).  I find
it suspicious that you didn't bother -- and even more suspicious that
you're now trying to play the victim card without, y'know, actual
victimhood.

Doing that is not only delusional and a bad habit, but also, as you will
perhaps remember at some point, _undignified_, making you look profoundly
silly in public, in front of people who will probably remember.

> There is nothing gratuitous about losing access to file that include
> rare photographs and scans of relatives who are no longer with us.

So, stop pounding the table & trying to play the victim, and _fix them_.
Sheesh.