[conspire] Why you should always test your backups

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre at deirdre.net
Wed Aug 8 10:23:25 PDT 2018

Ouch on the video. :(

A company I used to work for had two notable incidents:

1. They were about to go to backup power (because power was due to be
   out at the building for half a day) when the network admin turned the
   backup power switch the wrong way, taking the entire system offline.
   He was known as blackout from that day forward.
2. And then there's the time I used killall on HP-UX, knowing only its
   Linux use. And yes, I did it as root. (That is basically a kill -9
   everything right now.)
Not as bad as when a sysadmin deleted the Oracle rollback logs not
realizing they were important, but still….