[conspire] sous vide question.

Ross Bernheim rossbernheim at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 11:39:08 PDT 2017

Alex,

Grinding the meat causes the surface bacteria on the meat to be distributed throughout the ground meat. This is why hamburger should (sous vide excepted) cooked to well done to safely sterilize it. Sous vide can safely cook ground meat at lower temperatures because it Pastureizes the food by holding it at a temperature that will kill the bacteria over several minutes. This is why the cooking times for sous vide take into account both the item cooked and the thickness of the food being cooked.

Ross