[conspire] sous vide question.

Alex Kleider akleider at sonic.net
Wed Oct 25 09:31:09 PDT 2017

On 2017-10-24 22:15, Ross Bernheim wrote:
> Paul,
>
> First, food safety. Normally you need to cook things hot enough to
> sterilize them for safety. Thus the hamburger should be cooked to well
> done to kill all the bacteria inside caused by grinding the meat.

I don't believe that "grinding the meat" by itself ever "caused"
bacteria.

As an aside:
While traveling on Vancouver Island not long ago, I complained that my
hamburger was over done and was told that there they have a law against
serving ground meat that isn't well cooked (enough to kill bacteria, as
you say.)  I believe the way the law addresses this problem locally is
enforcing basic hygiene: clean kitchens and all the signs you see in
restrooms reminding employees to wash their hands.

Different strokes for different folks.