[conspire] sous vide question.

Paul Zander paulz at ieee.org
Tue Oct 24 09:40:19 PDT 2017

If I understand, the key feature of sous vide is temperature control. In traditional cooking methods, there is a very broad range of temperatures between “hot” and boiling.  Boiling is easy to observe, so most recipes say simmer or boil.

It is rather easy to find an oven thermometer or a candy thermometer in the cookware department.  Thermometers for simmering are not marketed (except for the chem lab.)

Food science has proven that protein (meat) shrinks as it is heated.  This drives out water and causes the food to be tough and dry.  The higher the temperature, the more shrinkage.  Boiling is much too hot for meat and most vegetables.

Having had occasion to design other temperature controllers, including one with the set point at 60K, I am reasonably confident I can get the electronics correct.  Also use a thermometer to verify the calibration.

I will have to think about water circulation, the shape of the pot, and how the bag(s) might hinder flow.

>From the various samples by Ross, I think the real advantage of sous vide is with tougher cuts like brisket and ribs. Over temperature shrinks proteins and makes meat tough.  Long cooking time breaks down connective tissue and makes them tender.  Sous vide can balance the two conflicting requirements.

I am amused by some web postings to sous vide fish fillets.  I can saute fish in 10-15 minutes in a frying pan.  Looks like a solution in search of a new problem.

Rick has a good point about temperature and safety.  There appears to be a risky region with some recommending cooking rare steaks at 125F and other saying 140F is the minimum needed needed to be safe.