[conspire] sous vide question.

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Tue Oct 24 01:05:35 PDT 2017

It really depends on the quality of your crock pot and the result you
want to achieve.

I've been planning to turn an industrial equipment into a sous vide
cooking system.

While sous vide equipment are generally overpriced on the basis they
have to be very precise in temperature control you still have to take
into account 2 main factors:
1) sous vide coocking time may be extremely long (eg. you've to be sure
your crock pot won't take fire)
2) water temperature should be reasonably uniform

I can't help with 1) and I'm not even sure you could check on a already
build system without knowing the specs of its elements.
I'm not the one that choose parts.

2) you could live with it if the pot is shallow enough and the
temperature sensor is 1C sensible. Many manufacturer of sous vide
advertise their product as 0.1C precise but it doesn't make a big
difference.

On a not so shallow pot (eg. 20cm deep) temperature gradients could be
of several degrees. The plastic bag could hinder heat distribution
further...

Small pot & small plastic bag = very few food cooked at a time.

A crock pot has a lid, so you shouldn't be that concerned of evaporation
but sous vide immersion systems don't.

You'll still need a vacuum system and suitable plastic bags.

On 10/23/2017 10:41 PM, Paul Zander wrote:
> This is primarily directed to Ross, but might be of wider interest.
>
> The benefits of sous vide have been will demonstrated. I have been thinking I should give it a try, but it is not my highest priority.
>
> My wife was cleaning out the kitchen cabinets, found a crock pot, and was about to take it to Good Will.  I said to wait.  It would appear that a change in the temperature control would convert it to sous vide.
>

> Is this a reasonable way to get a sous vide apparatus?
>
> The answer can be boolean. I fully expect that there will be the opportunity to discuss the various circuits at a future CABAL.  I just want to avoid having to go to thrift stores to buy someone else's crock pot.

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it http://www.borgonovo.net