[conspire] (forw) [skeptic] Talking turkey

Paul Zander paulz at ieee.org
Wed Nov 1 09:07:47 PDT 2017

I started this thread about sous vide, but when it come to turkey for the holidays, I am a traditionalist:  roast the whole bird.
The ratio of meat to bone is better with larger birds, so if I could find a 10 kg turkey at the same price per pound, I would try to fit it in my oven.  (Aside, lots of stoves are made with 2 small ovens, this is one situation where that doesn't work.)
I also follow the technique from Joy of Cooking.  Pre-heat oven to 450F. Place turkey in oven.  Wait until oven temp comes back to 450F ( 5 minutes?). Set oven to 350F.  This process seals the skin and retains the juices.

BTW, even though the kids have moved out, Cathy and I still look for a large turkey because we have many good recipes for the following week.