[conspire] Watering automation: an edge case cautionary tale

Paul Zander paulz at ieee.org
Mon Mar 20 09:22:04 PDT 2017

Yes it would be good to replace the mix of pipes and hoses, but I wouldn't recommend galvanized pipe.  Over time, it rusts, fills with deposits on the inside and leaks.  It's also a bit awkward to work with unless you own a pipe threader. I think ACE used to have one, but they are gone.  The time and effort saved using plastic will still be a positive even after a couple of "oops" with a shovel in future.
Dig trenches about a foot deep and use sch 40 PVC, at least for everything beyond a shut off valve. Don't use the thinner pipe.  After all as been tested, backfill the trenches with a couple inches of sand or gravel. Oh and take photos to document where everything is buried.
Then when you start to dig to plant a new tree or something and hit the sand, you will know that you might want to be careful or move over a little.