[conspire] Watering automation: an edge case cautionary tale

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Tue Mar 7 13:24:25 PST 2017

On 03/07/2017 10:12 PM, Tony Godshall wrote:
>> I hear about people using a Raspberry Pi as the real computer that
>> decides how to periodically modify an Arduino's simple instruction set.
>> Once set, the Ardunio's instructions will persist even if the remote
>> 'real computer' comes and goes.
>
> Plus, no filesystem to fsck, no flash storage to wear out, no
> operating system and unpredictable I/O to make timing
> nondeterministic.

Things like these seems to be fun:

http://www.nxp.com/products/microcontrollers-and-processors/arm-processors/vfxxx-controller:VYBRID

Linux on the fatter cores, RTOS and IO on the slimmer ones.

Of course if actuators/sensors have to be in different places, separated
MCU still make more sense.

RTLinux is not as much RT as many applications requires.

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it http://www.borgonovo.net