[conspire] os. for the sub $100 devices at Fry's this week [ promo code ] ?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Mar 19 21:19:44 PDT 2017

Quoting Bruce Coston (jane_ikari at yahoo.com):

> os./es for the sub $100 devices at Fry's this week ?
> Look out ! So far these things have proven to just suck money and time .
> A good os. could make them amazing for the $  99 , 60 and/or 50 they cost .

You know, you could have made things a bit easier by linking to the
items in question.  Here is a link that will be valid for (I guess) the
duration of this week's sales cycle (through Saturday), listing desktop
PCs currently offered:

http://www.frys.com/ads/page15

There are four items, of which only one is the $99 one net of a 'promo'
code:

Lenovo ThinkCentre M58 small form factor refurbished desktop PC with
Intel Core2 Duo E7500 CPU @ 2.93GHz, 4GB DDR3 PC3-8500 (1066 MHz) SDRAM
(max is claimed to be 8GB) in four slots probably limited to compact
sticks, 250GB 7200 RPM SATA hard disk, Windows 10 Home Premium 64-Bit,
DVD.  Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500 (integrated),  Intel Q45
motherboard chipset.

Detail sheet here:  http://www.frys.com/product/9041507

Video's no great shakes (inadequate on 3D games), but this is no
surprise.  You'll need a separate monitor to use with it (VGA or
DisplayPort).

Gosh, looks like a perfectly acceptable if uninspiring little machine,
to me.  Why not try it with, oh, I don't know, anything that's not too
demanding on 3D compositing and not too RAM-hungry.  Maybe Bodhi Linux
would be a good place to start.  Many others.