[conspire] How to kill a gigabit switch

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Feb 27 01:01:29 PST 2017

Quoting Paul Zander (paulz at ieee.org):

> Another comment on water.  Someone who lives near 17 and Summit Road
> had it way worse with the last round of rain.

This is as good as place as any to claim incredible psychotic^W psychic
powers evidenced in this shtick in the most recent CABAL announcement:

  Forecast for Northern California is clear and a bit chilly
  after more overnight rain, with a 20% chance of falling hillsides.

It turned out, about a day or so later, an entire enormous hill _did_
fall on top of CA-17, just uphill from Scotts Valley.   I wouldn't be
surprised if they weren't still carting away big truckloads of it.

Separately, Skyline Blvd. (CA-35) is now two cul-de-sacs because
100 feet of highway fell off the mountain, just south of Castle Rock
State Park.   And CA-1, the Pacific Coast Highway, is now two
cul-de-sacs because Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge at the north end of Big Sur
has cracked and buckled irreparably and there are no side routes.
http://www.ksbw.com/article/photos-big-surs-buckling-pfeiffer-canyon-bridge/8973888
Even worse for people living anywhere in the Big Sur coast area, three
additional huge landslides have also landed on the road, causing 61
miles of CA-1 to be closed and inaccessible from _either_ end cutting
off some 400 residents of the 61 mile segment completely.

Some residents has hoped they'd at least be able to use trails through
Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park as a pedestrian bypass around the failed
bridge to walk to points north for, say, groceries, but state officials
have closed the park until further notice on safety grounds, and there's
a $5000 fine for using its trails.  (Projected reopening is July 1st.)

CalTrans engineers are talking about installing a pedestian bridge
within four weeks.  Meanwhile, the residents are talking about having
groceries brought in by helicopter.  About now would be a good business
opportunity for people with winter-capable fishing boats.
http://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Bridge-failure-severs-Big-Sur-s-ties-to-outside-10958200.php

A real replacement road bridge may take 1-2 _years_.

Heads up:  Because Deirdre and I are going to be out of the country
again, the March CABAL needs rescheduling, and I'm inclined for it to be
_this_ Saturday, March 4th.  Official announcement to come soonish.