[conspire] (forw) [svlug] Free HP Color LaserJet model 2605DN if you hurry

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Feb 3 16:07:34 PST 2017

Quoting Ross Bernheim (rossbernheim at gmail.com):

> Rick,
>
> In my case, I wanted to do a lot of color printing of photos.

Obviously one needs a colour printer for that, but I'd have shopped for
a laser rather than using a Canon (or any other) inkjet.  Yes, I forgot
about the nasty price hit from that special Kodak paper:  That's another
part of the problem.

Although lacking expertise in this area, I am guessing that the same or
similar paper would also have been (and is) necessary to get ultimate
quality in colour using either printing technology.

> My printer now and for a while has been a Samsung b&W laser printer.
> Good price, reliable, duplex printing and Postscript. Cartridges are not
> inexpensive, but reasonable and given the number of pages they print and
> cost, very good TCO.

That's exactly what I've been hearing.

There was a time when Grant Taylor's openprinting.org Web site included
very perceptive mini-reviews and recommendations about good,
Linux-friendly laser (and other) printers.  Then, Grant turned the site
over to Linux Foundation, and it became a lot less useful and lost the
review content.