[conspire] Golden Penguin Bowl, LinuxWorld Expo, NYC, 2001

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Mon Dec 11 15:56:00 PST 2017

begin Rick Moen quotation of Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 03:39:28PM -0800:

> Each 1.75 oz Penguin Mints tin holds about 75 mints.[2]  Assume 40 mints
> mindlessly munched by yr. present correspondent that Feb. 2001 morning
> at Jacob K. Javits Convention Center.  40 mints * 7 mg/mint = 280 mg
> caffeine dose.  That's actually about the amount of caffeine from _three_
> (not ten) cups of brewed coffee, all hitting the bloodstream at once.[3]
>
> For whatever reason, anyway, I became totally buzzed -- like, with my
> eyeballs vibrating (see .sig), and thus rendered lightning-fast on the
> game-show buzzer.  (However, I recommend against the equivalent of
> guzzling a trenta[4] if unaccustomed to caffeine, as clearly I was then.)

The funny thing that I noticed about Penguin Mints is
that, unlike Altoids, they're (I think this is the
word) hygroscopic and absorb moisture, along with
odors, from the atmosphere. So you really do have
to eat the whole can right after breaking the seal,
or they start to taste funny.

--
Don Marti <dmarti at zgp.org>
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/