[conspire] Wikipedia editing suckitude; the art of checklists

Paul Zander paulz at ieee.org
Sun Apr 16 15:11:40 PDT 2017

This aligns with a story I heard (NPR?) a couple of years ago.  The subject was some incident during the Civil War.  It was commonly accepted that what happened was "A".  However a history professor had  researched the subject in depth and concluded "B".  This was based on contemporary newspaper articles.

He edited Wikipedia.  His edits were undone. Lots of back and forth. Wikipedia had a preference for secondary sources (history books published long afterwards, but widely available) and rejected the primary source because the original newspaper articles were not available online.