[conspire] CABAL, water-table replenishment edition

Paul Zander paulz at ieee.org
Fri Oct 28 10:26:20 PDT 2016

I expect to come, and hopefully finally get virtualization to work on the laptop.

As previously discussed,

   - I ran the VMware program to make the vmdk file and copied it to a big USB SSD

   - Next I installed a new hard drive in the laptop.
   - And installed Debian Testing onto the laptop.
   - There is a big partition with a copy of the vmdk file.
   - I made some attempts to run VirtualBox, but have not successful.
   - Others have suggested KVM and possibly others.

Details:
   - The boot ROM, under Legacy boot has from network before hard drive.  I have not found a way to change this and have been needing to push f12 and select hard drive every time I start the computer.
   -

   - This is a laptop with only 1 physical hard drive (1 TB).  There is lots of room for a partition for vitualization.  I mention this because at least one suggestion referred to working with the entire drive.

   -

   - Linux is missing some file related to wireless, maybe Bluetooth.   When all is running, I will have occasion to want the Windows to be able to access the outside world.

If we are altogether at CABAL, we can try different things and see what works (or doesn't) with a lot wider bandwidth than typing emails.

Paul