[conspire] Reminder on voting deadline (TODAY); presidential primary election notes

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon May 23 01:46:11 PDT 2016

Non-partisan reminder:

_TODAY_, Monday, May 23rd is the deadline for:

o  registering to vote in time for the California primary (on June 7th)
o  changing your party affiliation

You can check your voter registration here, courtesy of LA Times, to
see of you accidentally registered American Independent Party = AIP
(a common error when people thought they were 'registering independent'):
http://static.latimes.com/american-independent-party-lookup/

You can register to vote here:
http://registertovote.ca.gov

Many but not all counties have abiilty to check your registration status
(and party affiliation) online:
http://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/voting-resources/county-elections-offices/

A month ago, LA Times did an amusing study to determine how many people
accidentally registered with the far-right American Independent Party
thinking they had 'registered independent'.  Answer: lots.  After their
story, AIP had an exodus of 31,772 voters -- including accidental
members Emma Stone and Sugar Ray Leonard.

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-ca-american-independent-voters-registration-20160520-snap-story.html

Partisan information:

Last:  I typically do a personal analysis for my family, with
recommendations, for each upcoming election.  This time, I'm also making
it publicly available:
http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/election-2016-06-07.html

Page includes in a cross-partisan spirit some ideas about tactical
voting possibilities that apply irrespective of the reader's political
views, so I hope it will be of wide interest.

I also make particular effort to clarify about closed vs. semi-closed
primaries and the effects of California's top-two primary system for
(most) offices -- and I give my considered personal analysis of all the
issues votable be people living near me.