[conspire] (forw) Re: help with install debian

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Mar 21 08:03:56 PDT 2016

----- Forwarded message from David Chan <chandtw at PacBell.NET> -----

Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2016 21:18:47 -0700
From: David Chan <chandtw at PacBell.NET>
To: installers at linuxmafia.com
Subject: help with install debian

Hi there -

I am a blind linux user and need help installing debian on my machine.

Currently I am running debian on a desktop that is more than 15 years
old, and the setup requires a real serial port to work [to plug in a
external speech box].  I have a replacement computer that does not
have a serial port, however since version 7 [or was it 6?] debian
supports blind install that no longer requires a real serial port but
to utilize the built-in sound card.

I downloaded the CD and tried installing on a spare laptop as a dry
run - but apparently starting from version 7 the CD no longer contains
firmware, and I am unable to get it to load it from an USB drive.

Hopefully if I can get debian to install on this laptop, then I can do
a 'repeat performance' on the desktop I have at work.  Any suggestions
welcome - the laptop is a Toshiba Tecra M2 and the desktop is a HP
Z600 - thanks...

--David