[conspire] VirtualBox

Paul Zander paulz at ieee.org
Mon Mar 7 10:51:40 PST 2016

First I thank everyone for the assortment of ideas.

Yes, Apr 15 is coming soon.  For personal reasons, I prefer to keep my tax data on my computer.  Also I have a preference for the HR Block software.  That goes back some years when the other popular software tightened their licensing policy.

In addition to tax software, there are other applications I want installed on my version of Windows.  If I was doing a lot of web-site development, I can see the utility of having a variety of "standard" OS's available for testing.

To summarize several comments, (I hope I got this right):
* It is preferable to have Linux as the native OS and run Windows as guest.

* Not getting install media with a computer makes this difficult.  From the point of view of the profit motivated computer supplier, this sort of makes sense.  90% of the disks will never be used.  When I wanted to replace XP, I bought a disk online. It was labeled, "Only for installation on brand-D computer."

* Just making a back-up copy of Windows can be problematic. From what I have read, the default back-up/restore only works on the standard Microsoft supplied software. Other software is needed to capture all of the other applications.  Some years ago, I diligently followed the instructions that came with the computer to bake a restore copy of XP.  When I tried to use it, it didn't even work. It might have been simply that I had re-partitioned the hard drive.  Fortunately the maker of the computer had put the software license numbers on a sticker on the case.

* Of the suggestions offered, I am inclined to follow the advise to get the Win 10 update.