[conspire] What happens when your hosting provider has zero regard for truth

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Mar 6 16:53:15 PST 2016

Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2016 16:51:41 -0800
From: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
To: Edie Stern
Cc: Mark Olson, Joe Siclari
Subject: Re: Help me Obi-Wan!

Quoting estern770 at aol.com (estern770 at aol.com):

> Rick, once again, thanks so much for your help.  I wouldn't be
> surprised if x7 contacts you some time for freelance problem
> determination.

You're all very welcome -- except I suspect that x7hosting at this point
doesn't like me at all.  ;->  FWIW, I just rechecked all the results I
sent before -- and nothing has been fixed or changed in any way.  All
the errors I found are still there, unchanged.

> I spoke to X7hosting and gave them Rick's analysis.  They came back (a
> couple days later) and said it was a domain registration problem.

In case you didn't know:  That makes no sense.

What my results showed from direct, real-time examination is major
deficiencies in the authoritative DNS -- which is published by four DNS
nameservers at x7hosting.  Domain registration (which you have placed at
Network Solutions) has no relevance.

The only connection _generically_ of domain registration to
authoritative DNS is that the registrar updates (along with the domain's
other data in the public WHOIS records) the list of authoritative
nameservers within the parent DNS zone (the parent for fanac.org being
.org).

Using WHOIS client software, one can query what's in these records:

$ whois fanac.org
[...]

Name Server: NS1.X7HOSTING.COM
Name Server: NS2.X7HOSTING.COM
Name Server: NS3.X7HOSTING.COM
Name Server: NS4.X7HOSTING.COM
[...]
$

These lines appear to be correct, i.e., they competently state what four
x7hosting.com DNS nameservers are authoritative for fanac.org's DNS.
The problem isn't them being _specified_ incorrectly (by Network
Solutions).  The problem is them _functioning_ incorrectly -- which is
very clearly x7hosting's fault.  Attempting to blame the registrar is
more than a bit pathetic, and nonsensical.

----- End forwarded message -----