[conspire] Trouble in CVE-land

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Mar 6 16:06:40 PST 2016

Kurt Seifried on mailing list oss-security has started at
http://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2016/03/04/4 a very
interesting thread about apparent wide dissatisfaction with the  Common
Vulnerabilities and Exposures (CVE) system -- and some people are
speaking of its breakdown.  The CVE system is administered by a heavily
Federal-influence non-profit corportaion, MITRE.  MITRE was founded in
1958 as a technical affiliate to the US Air Force, and stepped into
being the Certification and Accreditation (C&A) authority for CVEs
starting 1999.

Every time you see a distro update to fix a security hole, it cites one
or more CVE that it addresses.  Internet sites that handle credit cards
must periodically pass PCI (personal card industries) audits partially
on the basis of whether they have adequately addressed CVEs.

In the modern world of security, CVEs are Important Stuff.

The current problem started when a bunch of security researchers
realised they were not the _only_ people unable to get CVE numbers
assigned to certain real security problem, that it was everyone, and
that there has been a troublesome trend at MITRE of reducing coverage.

Until now, it's been a common (and reasonable) assumption that any
significant security problem would be evidenced by a CVE.  I'm not sure
what all the ramifications of this story are, yet.  (Adjunct systems for
IDing security vulnerabilities do already exist to alleviate the logjam,
such as the OVE one:  http://www.openwall.com/ove  Though it has its
problems:  http://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2016/03/05/9 )

----- Forwarded message from Salvatore Bonaccorso <carnil at debian.org> -----