[conspire] Cautionary Tale: Fwd: [Baypiggies] NOTICE: http://meetup.com/baypiggies is no longer associated with baypiggies users group

Mark Weisler mark at weisler-saratoga-ca.us
Fri Jan 15 11:29:59 PST 2016

Below you will see why I personally don't much care for meetup.com and instead prefer simple e-mail lists and Web sites maintained by organization members, not intermediaries like meetup.com.
It appears that the baypiggies group (pertaining to the python programming environment) has come to rely on meetup.com then let its ownership of the baypiggies affiliation on meetup expire.
It got taken over by someone now trying to charge a fee for going to meetings.
Crazy.

I think it also illustrates, somewhat indirectly, why not letting a domain registration expire is important else someone else can take it over.
Mark Weisler

Begin forwarded message: