[conspire] New laws in 2016

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Sat Jan 9 14:03:49 PST 2016

On Mon, 2016-01-04 at 22:29 -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> California, SB 491, earbuds/headsets.  Drivers of motor vehicles and
> bicyclists may have only _one_ ear covered by (or holding) such a
> headset.
> (Exceptions for drivers of emergency, construction, and and
> waste-pickup
> companies.)

I was under the impression that this had already been the law for a
dog's age…

On Mon, 2016-01-04 at 22:29 -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
California:  Automatically registers for voting any citizen ow`ho
obtains
> or renews a driver's licence or ID card, or sends in a change of
address -- unless that
> citizen specifically opts out.  (Don't rely on this happening if you
> want to be certain of your voter registration.  In 2006 when I moved a
> few blocks within West Menlo Park, I relied on DMV to inform the San
> Mateo County Registrar of Voters of my new address, as is supposed to
> happen.  Next election, I wasn't registered and was required to vote a
> 'provisional ballot'.)

I'm pretty sure CA law has always been that if you move within the same
county, you do not need to register again _at all_, via notification of
the registrar by DMV or otherwise. You simply give your old address at
the polls.