[conspire] (forw) Automated facial recognition (was: Test your facial recognition skills)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Feb 18 01:10:23 PST 2016

Quoting Paul Zander (paulz at ieee.org):

> Welcome home,

Thanks.  But Sydney, New South Wales (where Deirdre and I are right now)
doesn't feel _quite_ like home.

(I am able to catch up on old threads because we're no longer on slow,
expensive, unreliable satellite Internet services on a cruise ship in
the middle of the Pacific Ocean.  Our flight home is on Saturday --
entailing arrival at SFO before our departure from SYD.  Yay,
International Date Line.)

> And was it a maybe good to have a vacation from the Internet?

Never a bad idea.

> I agree that it is easy to waste too much time online, but no
> Internet, how do you pay the bills or check the CABAL calendar?

Crystal Cruise Lines comped each of us one hour of (slow, unreliable)
satellite Internet service for each day of our cruise from San Francisco
to Sydney.  As long as we stayed under the total of (IIRC) 25 hours of
complimentary Internet time, we would not be billed.

However, I merely ensured that all bills were paid up to the minute
before our departure, and am returning just before the first of the next
billing cycle would go overdue.