[conspire] (forw) Re: Question regarding the install of linux distribution with an Optimus GeForce graphic card

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Sat Aug 13 02:17:41 PDT 2016

On Sat, 2016-08-13 at 00:47 -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Daniel Gimpelevich (daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us):
>
> > A few days ago I set up Optimus on my new old laptop mentioned on the
> > SF-LUG list, which I had originally planned to bring tomorrow. The above
> > article barely scratches the surface of what I've had to learn just to
> > get MPlayer working optimally, and the Bumblebee infrastructure has
> > severe limitations. On Ubuntu 14.04, I've had edit multiple
> > configuration files based on previous experience, install some pretty
> > non-obvious packages, write a couple of scripts, and read an
> > indispensable write-up on the subject which simply doesn't exist in
> > English, just to get basic command-line-only functionality. When you
> > show up tomorrow, assuming I'm not there to demonstrate all this, please
> > tell the person to just disable Optimus in the BIOS. Then things will
> > "just work."
>
> Thank you sincerely for lending the voice of experience.  You may have
> just saved us a world of pain.

Personally, I plan to make the most out of Optimus under GNU/Linux.

Recommended reading:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/hybrid_graphics (and links therein)
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Hardware_video_acceleration ( " " )
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bumblebee
http://www.webupd8.org/2013/09/adobe-flash-player-hardware.html
http://askubuntu.com/questions/78936/how-to-enable-vdpau-on-gstreamer/78942#78942
http://negativo17.org/complex-setup-with-nvidia-optimus-nouveau-prime-on-fedora-19-2/
http://www.webupd8.org/2012/08/get-hdmi-working-with-nvidia-optimus-on.html
http://forum.ubuntu.ru/index.php?topic=190100.2940#msg2098568

I added the following entries to my ~/.bash_aliases file:
alias nvdpaurun='LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/nvidia-352-updates/vdpau:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH DISPLAY=:8 optirun'
alias vamplayer='VDPAU_DRIVER=va_gl mplayer'
alias vamplayer264='VDPAU_DRIVER=va_gl mplayer -vc ffh264vdpau'

I added the following line to my /etc/modules file:
bbswitch load_state=0

I also made numerous other tweaks and adaptations to the recommendations
at the links above. Some of them are pretty out of date.