[conspire] (forw) Re: [Felton LUG] feltonlug.org website online

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Apr 12 22:48:03 PDT 2016

FeltonLUG volunteer Steve Adams generously put together a badly needed
prelminary Web site for the group.  (Yay him.)  I praised this work, but
mildly objected on factual grounds to his assertion on those pages that
Ubuntu Linux is the leading enterprise Linux distribution.  Despite
ongoing efforts to sell suport contracts for Ubuntu LTS, available
evidence suggests just flat-out 'no', by a country mile.

Resulting thread spilled over to this afternoon, when the listadmin
suddenly rejected this closing post -- correcting yet more mistakes made
on account of (IMO) unthinking Canonical, Ltd. boosterism, so I'm
forwarding it here so the (significant) effort isn't wasted.

Listadmin also revealed the surprising news that FeltonLUG's mailing
list (a Google Group) is _moderated_, which he apparently configured for
the puzzling reason of antispam.  Folks, if you think full moderation is
necessary to keep spam off mailing lists, you haven't understood the
spam problem.

Suddenly, odd FeltonLUG posting delays are explained.  Note:  As fully
moderated operation is non-standard, it should always be disclosed.
FeltonLUG does not do so.

I'd really like to see this 'Ubuntu is best because it's easy to
install'.  _Every_ goddamned desktop distribution has been easy to
install for well over a decade, and it wasn't even Canonical, Ltd. that
did that work, but rather Klaus Knopper.  It's past time that this
insultingly obvious propaganda ceased.