[conspire] (forw) Re: Linux install at CABAL meeting

Paul Zander paulz at ieee.org
Sat Nov 7 08:48:33 PST 2015

John,
Based on my own experience, I would suggest that the most important thing to bring to an install fest is a notebook and pencil.   Take detailed records of what was done and why.
There are a lot of variables in a Linux install, from which revision of which distro to disk partitioning to personal preferences of the windows manager.  It is unlikely that you will get everything "just right" the first time and want to get so you can eventually do future installs on your own.
The second most important thing is to back up any important files to a seperate media before the install.  99% of the time, files will be preserved, but you don't wany your important files to be the 1%

Paul