[conspire] Case study in modern forgery of SMTP headers

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Nov 6 17:23:22 PST 2015

In which, forgery victim Michael Siladi encounters corporate
obliviousness.

----- Forwarded message from Michael Siladi <msiladi at ix.netcom.com> -----

Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2015 15:10:25 -0800
From: Michael Siladi <msiladi at ix.netcom.com>
To: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
Cc: Geo Mealer <geo at snarksoft.com>
Subject: Re: [Basfa] Fw: new message

Rick:

I've spent about 45 minutes (in two calls) talking with six different
Earthlink support people trying to explain that my email address is
being forged into spam being sent from non-Earthlink servers.

The fifth person I talked to (the second person of the second call)
was actually in the US, and understood that the situation of my
account being used to forge spam is different from my account being
used to send spam, and connected me with a tech manager who had a
glimmer about what I was talking about.

I'm now waiting for a call back ("within 48-72 hours") from an actual
data center admin who might be able to assist me with my goal of
helping Earthlink (and my reputation.)

I feel like Don Quixote, tilting a windmills, yet I know my cause is noble.

Cheers,
Michael