[conspire] test drive of new laptop

Paul Zander pazander at pacbell.net
Sat May 2 22:59:33 PDT 2015

Thanks for suggestion of USB.  Having looked up the process, it should be easier to copy to the ISO to USB than to make sure I get the right settings on the CD burn procedure.  I've wasted more then one disk by burning the .ISO as a file.

I'm thinking I would start by making a Ubuntu Live USB and then use it to play some assortment of online videos.  This should (hopefully) verify some degree functionality of the graphics drivers.  Anything else I should test while I can still have time to return the machine?

Later when I actually install Debian, I can focus on getting the correct packages (possibly non-free, etc.) with minimal risk caused by non-compatible hardware for which no driver exists.

Paul