[conspire] Quiet, Freedom-compatible NAT/firewall/misc box?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Mar 19 03:20:40 PDT 2015

Fixing a word omission caused by jetlag:

> o  The Realtek 8111E ethernet chipset isn't great (no surprise; it's
>    Realtek), and you'll want a kernel, e.g., Debian Jessie or CentOS 6.2.
                                ^ recent

Realtek reliably fields network chips that are OK but no great prize,
and are of the 'I wish they'd used an Intel e1000 but this will do'
variety.  In this case, the 8111E ethernet chip is gratuitously
different enough from prior Realtek chips that you need a _current_
distro with a _current_ set of drivers (and kernel), else it is likely
to get misrecognised as a different Realtek chip, putting you through
hassles where (on older distros) you have to 'blacklist' the wrong
driver to force use of the correct one.

The ASRock combo has the same slightly cheesy Realtek LAN chip, FWIW.
(Basically, a Realtek network chip is a sign of cheapness but not a
catastrophe.  Kind of like Broadcom and Marvell chips.)