[conspire] (forw) Testing New Keyboard

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Jun 29 10:27:48 PDT 2015

Quoting Scott DuBois (rhcom.linux at gmail.com):

> I think sometimes people are simply afraid to labeled as giving either "stupid"
> answers or asking "stupid" questions.

They ought to worry a great deal more about coming across as arrogant
and ungrateful.

I give generously of my time, and optimistically hope that people will
value my time at its usage value rather than at their acquisition cost
(of zero).  I am frequently disappointed.

There's an easy and obvious alternative I can use:  I can decide there
are too many people acting in a manner indistinguishable from arrogant
and ungrateful, and do only well-paid work and not help the community
any more.

> We could either ask them if they are comfortable with our instructions or
> require further clarification or we can belittle them and chastize
> them for asking questions incorrectly while being considered too
> "stupid" to utilize a technology forum properly.

Calling people 'stupid' is your invention in this discussion, and
suggests to me that you paid zero attention to what I actually said.
Once again, this is discouraging, as it suggests I was wasting my time
-- at least as concerning (specifically) you as a reader.  It may be,
however, that my point was clear to everyone else.

Getting back briefly to Robert:  Upon review, I notice that -- at the
time I forwarded to this mailing list his initial query about the old
vs. new keyboards a month ago -- his (very long) account actually _did_
include everything necessary to solve his problem.  Specifically, he
said:

  Old Keyboard
      Keytronic  M/N KT800MSE-C  S/N C014801544
      In service more than 10 years.
      Some keys do not always work.

  New Keyboard
      Logitech k120
      Purchased at Fry's, Palo Alto, 08May2015
      Fry's service department has tested it: works OK there.

The above was buried in several screens full of material, but it _was_
there.  My point is that if any of us had bothered to Web search on
'Keytronic KT800MSE-C' and 'Logitech k120', we would have immediately
seen that the former was a PS/2 keyboard, and the latter a USB one.

As I said, Robert is an impressively painstaking person, so additional
points to him for providing exactly the detail that should have lead to
the solution directly -- in his very first inquiry about the problem.