[conspire] Someone doesn't like the Bay Area's fiber optic cables

Ross Bernheim rossbernheim at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 08:01:13 PDT 2015

Rick,

This highlights the lack of even minimal security measures for most of our
essential infrastructure. We need to put this in a broader look at infrastructure
vulnerability.

Locally there was the attack on a PG&E substation with rifles that
took out a number of high voltage transformers.

We know that our control electronics used for many infrastructure and
industrial controls are vulnerable. The ubiquity of these let us target
Iran’s uranium enrichment centrifuges. Could someone easily target
our infrastructure?

Now we are rushing to the Internet Of Things without paying enough
attention to security.

When was the last time you saw people really paying attention to
security? The number of unpatched Windows, Mac and Linux systems
bear witness to our lack concern.

While the government pays lip service to security, the recent OPM
security breaches show how little effort is really paid to security. With
this as an example, is it any wonder that security gets such short
shrift?

Ross