[conspire] (forw) Testing New Keyboard

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Jul 1 13:56:30 PDT 2015

Quoting Scott DuBois (rhcom.linux at gmail.com):

> Perhaps. It all really comes down to the individual and their comfort
> level in the forum.  [...]

You aren't getting the message.  If you come to an expert for help and
he/she sees you repeatedly selectively ignoring his/her advice, at some
point the expert is likely to say 'Good luck' and concentrate on less
futile tasks.

That is what happened in this case, and it happened that I was indulgent
and patient enough to not say 'Good luck' and just walk away, but it's
very much in the interest of people like Robert to not do that.  Because
I am not their unpaid servant.

Their 'comfort level' is irrelevant to the point.  If they no-comfort
their way into alienating the people whose help they need, then they can
just get used to doing without help, I guess, because that's what's
likely to happen.

> We should all be grateful that our forums exist anyway as a source to
> turn to; should we not?

No, we should not.

Our forums are _our_ forums; we don't owe a debt of gratitude to
other people for them.

> I mean, a lot of people turn to forums like Stack Overflow or
> Superuser these days rather than turn to their local LUG mailing list.

Good fortune to them!

> New people probably don't and come in with the same level of service
> expectations as some of the afore mentioned forums.

Not utterly ignoring an expert suggestion made _twice_ with reasons
cited for carrying it out is just common courtesy.  This has nothing to
do with 'service expectations', nor 'comfort levels'.

> However, when was the last time you tried a LinkedIN forum, Stack
> Overflow, or even Linux.com forums?

Today, actually.

But you are stubbornly ignoring the point.  Which in turn suggests I am
wasting my time talking to you, and I am going to cease doing so on
this subject.

> In conclusion, my personal opinion is that you did an amazingly fine job in
> helping Robert overcome his obstacle.

Thanks.