[conspire] Another motherboard was _not_ burned out today

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Feb 24 09:01:35 PST 2015

Quoting Scott DuBois (rhcom.linux at gmail.com):

> On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 12:40:08PM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> > That's a whole lot of high-capacity can fans.  If the motherboard and
> > other heat-producing devices don't need that much cooling, you could try
> > disconnecting one or both of the front case fans.
>
> Good thought. They are switched so I'll see if one of the settings is "off". I
> want to say I've checked this before though and I think they are only low, med,
> and high; but I'll check again. A guy at HE suggested just replacing the fans
> which is an option too I suppose.

But they can also be disconnected by yanking their power connectors from
where they connect to the motherboard or PSU.  Or, worst case, cut a
wire and tape-cover the severed ends.

> The other issue is the LED built into the fans.

Worst-case, you can clip the lead of the LED.

Open the case, look over the front fans carefully, and verify that if
necessary you could replace them with aftermarket 200 mm fans, which you
can buy (among other places) at Central Computers, or at HSC if you're
being cheap.  Once you've verified that you could use generic
replacements - and I'd be astonished if that were untrue - then you can
experiment with the existing fans at little or no risk.

Like, 'Oh damn, I've ruined one of the case fans.  Shucky darn, I guess
that means I'll have to spend 50 cents at HSC.'