[conspire] how to implement a stupid idea [Re: How not to do antispam, latest in a continuing series]

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Feb 23 15:24:39 PST 2015

Quoting Tony Godshall (togo at of.net):
> On Sun, Feb 22, 2015 at 9:57 AM, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
> >
> > I wouldn't be critical like that.
>
> Indeed, you are critical in your own special way.

What I mean is that I don't assume everyone already knows the lessons
already learned about C-R antispam systems when they became popular from
1997 to around 2000 (when widespread condemnation got rid of most).  It
seemed uncharitable to assume Ruben _knew_ he was implementing a bad
idea.

I'd forgotten until Nick reminded us that, actually, Ruben _has_ known
for a decade and half that it's a dumb idea.

You'll notice I just responded to Ruben's swansong that he apparently
sent just before unsubscribing, specifically to the parting PS about how
I appear to have no objection to Richard's (RMS's) vacation-type
autoresponder.

You will please observe the characteristic head-up-assedness about that
postscript.  (1) Ruben ignores RMS's responsebot not being a C-R bot.
(2) Ruben ignores RMS's responsebot being, unlike his, written to never
do stupid shit.

This is what I mean when I said Ruben is special in not merely
disregarding good advice but actively arguing back with frenetic
counterarguments that make no sense at all.  Head. Up. Ass.