[conspire] Another motherboard was _not_ burned out today

Scott DuBois rhcom.linux at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 09:13:56 PST 2015

On Sat, Feb 21, 2015 at 04:19:52PM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Scott DuBois (rhcom.linux at gmail.com):
>
> > A PIII motherboard is not sensitive electronic equipment in any reasonable
> > sense of the term.  Those were pretty damn hardy.
>
> Yes, I didn't _think_ they ever were -- which is part of why I've been
> reluctant to think local PG&E fluctuations have been frying hardware
> at my house, even spread out over 9 years since I moved back here.
> (I've had two periods of residence in this house, 40 years apart.)

Well, PIII or otherwise, I've never had a Mobo die or fry on me (cross fingers)
which has simply been dumb luck and nothing else. I feel I should give most
credit to PG&E for this as I don't apply any unordinary precautions. However,
I've only been at this residence since 2008 and the wiring is, well, not that
awesome as I found out during inspection.

Over the years I've found that electrrical tends to be one of those "bike shed"
things that everyone seems to know everything about. Kind of like auto
mechanics, plumbing, or even computers to a degree. I give it a lot of respect
but at the same time don't trust it as there are a lot of variables that can go
wrong if "I" did not build or maintain the entire system from source to
endpoint. Like many things, it's a threat level that one must consider and make
appropriate arrangements to mitigate based on their own assessment. Blah, blah,
blah...

> Word of mouth
> said those were weak PSUs, had quality control problems, and tended to
> conk out.  I don't recall anyone saying they tended to destroy
> motherboards, though.

Hey, just the fact that you've gotten this much life out of "dumpster dive"
equipment is reason enough for a party. =)

> BTW, Michael Paoli tells me that Dreamhost, the firm that hosts BALUG's
> mailing lists, often fails to archive postings, so that probably was one
> of the ones they missed.

Eh, kind of a bummer for Michael but, I thought it interesting that I remembered
the conversation from the BALUG list and happened to have those old emails. I do
my best to try and save the ones where I have learned something important or
useful to my own personal situation so that I may refer back to them later.

--
Scott DuBois           "If you can't explain it simply, you
BSIT/SE	                don't understand it well enough."