[conspire] Another motherboard was _not_ burned out today

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Feb 21 16:33:37 PST 2015

Afterthought:

> As I think I mentioned, the funny-looking bespoke PSUs used in all VA
> Linux Systems 2U rackmount servers (these suckers:
> http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Converter-Concepts-10-0243-600-560-Watt-2U-Server-ATX-PSU-Power-Supply-Unit-/330729598823?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d01052f67)
> were notoriously failure-prone and, as aftermarket parts, in relatively
> short supply, so I stockpiled a lot of them as spares.  Word of mouth
> said those were weak PSUs, had quality control problems, and tended to
> conk out.

This was a component problem-area everyone at VA Linux Systems knew
about.  By contrast, one I didn't notice until years later was the
cruddy case fans, which was really a disappointment because the firm
couldn't possibly have saved more than a buck per unit by going with
cheap crud.

Good fans have real ball bearings; crummy ones have sleeve bearings.
The crummy ones accumulate wear and friction sooner, and are thus
quicker to seize up, at which point they not only cease to cool but also
become heat point-sources.  Replacing the 80mm case fans with
aftermarket Antec fans was cheap insurance, and I recommend that as a
tip for anyone running server or workstation gear that includes case
fans.  (A parts swapout for a laptop is obviously more challenging.)

I have a recurring desire to replace the Intel N440BX 'Nightshade'
PII-based motherboard in my antique VA Research StartX MP workstation
case with something cutting-edge, partly for laughs.  If I do, you can
bet I'll replace the 200mm (or whatever) case fan, and the PSU.