[conspire] systemd

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Feb 17 12:37:25 PST 2015

Quoting Ruben Safir (ruben at mrbrklyn.com):

> http://www.softpanorama.org/Commercial_linuxes/Startup_and_shutdown/systemd.shtml

My mother wasn't Internet-savvy enough to dispense the advice 'Rick, never
just post bare URLs to mailing lists or newsgroups, because it makes you
look like either a spammer or a short-attention-span kiddie who thinks
his time is too precious to explain _why_ something is interesting --
and in either case then ignored.'  But that's the sort of wise thing Mom
_would_ have said.

> systemd is in the news again
>
> http://news.slashdot.org/story/15/02/15/1959209/removing-libsystemd0-from-a-live-running-debian-system

See, now there you _almost_ bother to mention why the URL is worth the
visit.  Go, Ruben!  That was almost useful.

I have faith that you can learn clue, Ruben.  It's part of my general
wackily naive optimism about progress and the ability of Joe User to
eventually learn something -- despite frequrent reminders that nobody
bothers to pay attention.

Anyway:

1.  Slashdot?  Really?

2.  Author Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton does have a brain, but has a
long history as a bit of a loon.  No, let me correct that:  As a loon.
I don't think I want to even summarise his crazy-ass and pointless fight
with everyone else involved in the Samba project, for fear of saying
something I'd have to defend in court.

2.  Author describes what looks like days of painstaking work to find a
way to remove and do without... no, not systemd itself.  That's actually
really simple on any current branch of Debian.  No, Leighton goes all
mad scientist at great length to get rid of libsystemd0.

A library.  A library that goes completely unused if you have installed
one of the other two supported init packages.  I'm not sure what is more
scary: the possibility that Leighton doesn't know the irrelevance of
this outcome, or the possiblity that he does.