[conspire] Another motherboard was _not_ burned out today

Mike Higashi mhigashi at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 16:12:08 PST 2015

On Monday, February 16, 2015, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
> Quoting Ross Bernheim (rossbernheim at speakeasy.net):
>
>> We tend to think of AC power as being reliable and consistent. In many
>> areas it is not.
>
> Well, I know that, but West Menlo Park had always seemed a _very_ unlikely
> example, because it's California and because it's the rustic suburbs.
> We don't have heavy industry anywhere near (e.g., no switching on and
> off of big motors), and almost never have lightning storms.  There are
> places that are famous for power fluctuations such as Long Island
> (mostly industrial interference) and northern Ohio (lightning), but
> we're very unlike those.  So, I've been slow to believe that it's likely
> a problem _here_.

Are there any medical clinics in the retail area near your house? A CAT
scanner or MRI machine could be very demanding in terms of power,
and cycling one of those on and off could cause a sag and then a spike
if the local electrical infrastructure was designed for ordinary retail
and residential use. (Back when I lived in Pinole, that's a tidbit I learned
from a friend who used to be on local planning commission.)

Mike