[conspire] Wondering about the "parallela" Ubuntu board

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Apr 12 16:33:27 PDT 2014

Quoting Ross Bernheim (rossbernheim at speakeasy.net):

> The Raspberry Pi was designed to do a specific job. Unnecessary things
> were cut. It was not designed as a general purpose computer with a lot
> of peripherals attached to the USB ports. A powered USB hub is needed
> to handle peripherals. Get a hub with 3 to 4 Amps capability.

Exactly!  This shouldn't be difficult to figure out and factor in to any
Raspberry Pi-based hardware buildout, yet I keep hearing about people
making that exact error, and that it's a common one:  'This particular
Pi board's USB controller chip | PCB tracks | polyfuse is burned out
because I connected a Frobnosticator device to the port that tried to
draw too much power.'  Well, Don't Do That, Then.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/help/faqs/#power