[conspire] Screenshot mentality

Carl Myers cmyers at cmyers.org
Mon May 20 12:49:39 PDT 2013

On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 01:28:21PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> I've found this weird fixation with screenshots as supposed raw
> diagnostic data, damned near everywhere.  Helldesk (er, 'helpdesk')
> staff tend to be deluged with them.  What dumbfounds me, though, is when
> helpdesk people _request_ it.

As others pointed out, requesting the screenshot makes sense in some contexts
(GUIs not rendering properly, etc).

I think the main reason this happens is because users are trained by bad support
people that they won't be trusted.  It's a vicious cycle where user files bad
bug report, helldesk personnel replies "have you tried turning it on and off
again?" back and forth, wasting everyone's time.  If you include a screenshot
that shows the badness, there can be no doubt that something is wrong, whether
or not it is the user's fault, and solutions often come faster.  Also, a user
can describe what is happening poorly or inaccurately, but a screenshot that
isn't photoshopped is going to be reliable.

Nonetheless, I share your lament and would generally prefer a copy/paste over a
screenshot 99% of the time.

-Carl

--
Carl Myers