[conspire] Printing from Android: really?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun May 12 14:54:35 PDT 2013

Quoting Ross Bernheim (rossbernheim at speakeasy.net):

> Thank you for solving a problem that I did not realize I had since I
> hadn't even given consideration to printing from my Android devices. I
> will look into possibly setting it up at home.

Yeah, my only Android device so far is my Nook e-reader, and it hadn't
ever occurred to me I might want to print from it (but I'd just assumed
there was something less pathetic than 'Send it across the Internet to
Google, and they'll send it back across the Internet to your PC running
Google's proprietary Web browser to reach the printer on your PC.'

It appears that HP, Canon, Brother, and Polaroid have proprietary
'printing apps' for Android that can print locally to their respective
printer lines.  (Once again, this is the embedded computing 1985
mindset, wnere everyone expects to be locked into small dysfunctional
proprietary-software ghettos, and nobody thinks that's unusual or looks
around for a better way.)

Web-searching on 'CyanogenMod printing' finds nothing useful, either.

I do think that a modest tool (such as the one described) to send print
jobs to a nearby CUPS queue over IPP is likely to be the least
frustrating solution.