[conspire] Fwd: wheezy is OUT. tonight.

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu May 9 12:21:30 PDT 2013

Quoting Paul Zander (paulz at ieee.org):

> Last week, I went through the process of refreshing my system. I was
> prompted to insert the Wheezy install CD. I don't recall this prompt
> before.  Was this is an artifact of the new Debian release?

Er, not sure, but please see below.

> Should I re-visit sources.list and remove the first lines that name
> the original install CD?

Yep.  (Comment it out.)

I have no idea why the installer added that, unless your original
installation was from CD.

> My preference for updating my system is to use aptitude.  (I can
> never remember when to use apt-get and when to use dpkg.)
>   `aptitude update;  aptitude safe-upgrade`

Sure, you can always use aptitude.

My personal view is that aptitude is slow and not as good (as is
apt-get) at figuring out dependencies.  Also, it defaults to including
particular types of dependencies ("Recommends', perhaps; can't remember
for sure) that I would not really want automatically installed -- though
that behaviour can be altered using conffile settings within /etc/apt.

Anyway, if you like aptitude, no reason why you shouldn't use that
instead of apt-get.  You'll want to avoid switching back and forth
between aptitude and apt-get, i.e., settle on one tool as your standard.
There's some sort of package-hinting information that each tool
maintains (again, can't remember details), and neither heeds the records
kept by the other.

> Is this an appropriate way to keep the system current?

Should work fine.