[conspire] supported graphics cards?

Edmund J. Biow biow at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 28 14:13:57 PDT 2013

Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 16:52:20 -0700 From: Rick Moen
<rick at linuxmafia.com> To: conspire at linuxmafia.com Subject: Re:
[conspire] supported graphics cards? Message-ID:
<20130627235220.GR2920 at linuxmafia.com> Content-Type: text/plain;
charset=iso-8859-15 Quoting Ken Bernard (kenbernard at gmail.com):

snip
>> Cabal suggests an older 1GB NVidia video card, and/or checking the distro
>> wiki for how to get fgirx / Catalyst to support the above mentioned
>> integrated graphics.
> Sounds about right, but I see nothing that particularly compelling about
> Nvidia _and_ they are particularly non-cooperative with open source.  If
> the card's a couple of years old, the non-cooperation won't matter
> because X.org's 'nv' driver will have caught up with it, but I'd
> personally favour non-Nvidia generally.
While it is true that Nvidia has traditionally not been very forthcoming
with providing details about its hardware to the open source community
at least its proprietary driver "just works®" while the proprietary
fglrx driver is a steamy pile of poorly documented poop, not just in
Linux, but apparently even in Windows. Go talk to h2 over at #smxi at
irc.oftc.net if you want an earful about just how lousy fglrx is.
Unfortunately, the proprietary drivers are still much faster than the
open source drivers for both ATI & Nvidia. Intel still has the best open
source support, but they don't really make dedicated video cards
anymore, just onboard stuff, which isn't super fast if you are keen on
gaming & 3D.

If you are willing to use the open source driver, though, radeon is
generally better than the current open source nvidia driver, which is
called nouveau.  nv was removed from xorg-server a couple of years ago,
as I recall, you won't find it current releases (except maybe some of
the RHEL-based things which are supported for a decade or more). For
instance, nv was removed from Debian after squeeze for i386/amd64.
http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=xserver-xorg-video-nv

Ed