[conspire] Bad hardware categories (wasL: July 13th CABAL meeting cancelled)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Jun 28 01:34:26 PDT 2013

Quoting Don Marti (dmarti at zgp.org):

> Our family has an HP LaserJet 3055, which is, as
> far as I can tell, a solid low-end b+w laser printer
> with a decent scanner/copier and fax device on it.

Glad to hear it.  You know, when the whole OfficeJet product line showed
up, I was horribly disappointed by the choice of uniformly terrible
components, e.g., winmodem chips, really bad printer.  It's good to hear
that someone finally remembered that the concept doesn't _need_ to be
implemented using a collection of cheap rubbish parts.

> There's an Ethernet connection for network printing,
> and it's a real PostScript printer.

I was thinking earlier that existence of an ethernet port on a printer,
or even an option for one, is a very strong indication that it's a
serious device and also not any sort of winprinter.