[conspire] July 11th CABAL meeting cancelled

Mark Weisler mark at weisler-saratoga-ca.us
Thu Jun 27 13:30:30 PDT 2013

On Jun 27, 2013, at 12:24 PM, Rick Moen wrote:

> Deirdre and I are going to be in Wellington, New Zealand on Saturday,
> July 11th, so there will be no CABAL meeting that day.
>

> A few words to sum up the 'I bought this computer and have problems
> getting driver support for its video|wireless|ethernet on my distro'
> problem, because people keep coming here with it.

I just want to add a general comment about acquiring computers that are good with Linux.
One way to research this topic is to learn what computer models are used by Linux resellers and then buy that model of computer either from the reseller or elsewhere.
Los Alamos Computers is an example of a dealer putting Linux on new computers for sale.

http://laclinux.com/en/Start
They offer notebook and workstation computers.
Note that they are now offering Lenovo computers. I've used probably two dozen models of Lenovo in a mix of notebook, workstation, and server that found them just fine for Linux.

Another minor point: the cost difference between a good quality computer, such as the ones used by Los Alamos, and something cheap is about $.25 a day (25 cents) over the course of a four year life. My experience is that a quality computer is less hassle and therefore "less expensive" than cheap ones.
--
Mark Weisler
PGP Key ID 68E462B6