[conspire] Wireless driver problem

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Jul 27 23:18:59 PDT 2013

Quoting Tony Godshall (togo at of.net):

> And generally, there'll be a message in the kernel log (you can see it
> by typing dmesg) that says something like 'could not load blah blah
> blah .fw'
>
> That's the clue that there's a firmware file that needs to be located
> and put in /lib/firmware/ someplace
>
> Then it's just a case of locating the file and putting it in the right
> place, doing the research, like Rick just did for you.

The two first (possibly best) problem-solving tips I heard when I first
started using Unix were:

1.  Check the logfiles.
2.  It might be an ownership/permissions problem.

One or both of those is helpful in a large number of situations.

If I ever get around to writing that 'I've just installed Linux; what do
I do now?' pamphlet, those would be included and explained.  New folks
need to know why and when looking at /var/log/messages and /var/log/dmesg
is a damned good idea even if it lacks Shiny Happy Desktop User appeal.