[conspire] (forw) Linux on netbook (update)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Jul 15 14:09:43 PDT 2013

----- Forwarded message from Ronald Schild <rschild at gmail.com> -----

Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2013 22:00:52 -0700
From: Ronald Schild <rschild at gmail.com>
To: installers at linuxmafia.com
Cc: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
Subject: Linux on netbook (update)

Hi again, Rick!

I've been meaning to get back to you regarding installing a flavor of Linux
on my Toshiba netbook. If you may recall, I initially contacted you earlier
in the spring with the intention of attending one of your sponsored
Installfests. One thing led to another, and I was unable to make an April
date however.

I did persist at trying to install it myself via a USB drive though. I am
happy to share with you - and based on a lot of the feedback you gave me -
I was successful in installing Linux Mint Olivia; I went for the Cinnamon
desktop environment.

I have used this for about 2 and 1/2 months now and I am very pleased with
it. The netbook works much more efficiently and boots up much quicker. I am
able to perform just about everything I need to with it and constantly
learn new tricks and tweaks about Cinnamon.

Oh, and by the way, I went "All In" (Gen. Patraeus reference) with my
commitment to a Linux install: I completely wiped the Redmond-based O.S.

So, so far so good. I don't believe I could have done this without your
encouragement. Thanks again for all you have offered me through our
correspondence. Perhaps I will be able to make one of the Installfests in
the near future - there is always something I have a question about or
could learn ;)

All the best,
Ron Schild

--
"We have no seriously satisfying alternative but to be wonderful." - First
Earth Battalion Manual, by Lt. Col. Jim Channon

Written, punctuated, and fact-checked in the U.S.A.

----- End forwarded message -----