[conspire] Mixing Squeeze / Wheezy

Tony Godshall togo at of.net
Mon Apr 29 15:06:06 PDT 2013

One habit I've acquired at the first sign of driver trouble is it to
rsync -auv /lib/firmware from my old installation, where the device in
question worked, into my new one, typically excluding any
kernel-version-specific subdirectories.  There are potential legal
violations in terms of doing this for others, but probably not for
yourself (you've already agreed to whatever non-distribution or
non-decompilation or non-reverse engineering terms when you acquired
that non-free blob).

This works for me, but it may eat your children and turn your computer
into a steaming molten mess.  At your own risk.

And it really only works where your dmesg says something like "could
not locate file blah blah blah.fw"

A more surgical approach is of course to copy just the file in
question, particularly if you want to keep your root partition small.

One machine it did not work for was Dell Zino HD Inspiron 410- every
time I upgrade a kernel on one of those, I have to cd
/usr/local/src/iforgetwhat and make and sudo make install. If this is
at all relevant to you, I can look up the chipset et al, but I think
it's just a tangential example to which the details matter only to me.

I'm sure a discussion of the legality and ethics of this approach will follow.

And yes, Paul, do be more specific and less confusing, as Rick directed.

Best Regards.
This is unedited.