[conspire] running without a DE- dynamically activating external monitor

Tony Godshall togo at of.net
Fri Apr 19 14:05:22 PDT 2013

/me switches back to

startx -- $(which xterm)

from console, followed by invocation of a wm

ion&

since lightdm starts the WM as X11's the anchor process (in which
scenario Rick's suggestion makes all your windows go away)

this is also a good mode of operation for flitting bwtween window managers

just don't exit that first xterm

((right now I'm working with Avery Pennarum's ion1 resurrection window
manager with his less insane set of keybindings since it does tiling
well and does tabbing well and does mouse well. xmonad does tiling
well and is high performance but seems positively mouse-phobic and I
hate its keystrokes- I may adapt Avery's to it- I can probably learn
to live without mouse manipulation of window management))

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 11:59 AM, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
> Quoting Tony Godshall (togo at of.net):
>
>> Anyone know how to tell the active window manager to reconfigure
>> itself to a new resolution?  SIGHUP seems to be a convention for
>> daemons but not for WMs.
>
> Kill and restart it?
>
> As a longtime fan of Window Maker, I notice that occasionally some of
> its bugs get triggered, e.g., suddenly window focus behaviour breaks,
> and so I select 'Window Maker' from the context menu to dynamically
> change window managers, which SIGTERMs the current Window Maker instance
> and launches a new one.
>
> Yeah, it'd be nice to get one's WM to simply re-read its conffile, but
> a half-second of odd screen redraws while the WM respawns gets the job
> done.

Best Regards.
This is unedited.