[conspire] running without a DE- dynamically activating external monitor

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Apr 19 11:59:45 PDT 2013

Quoting Tony Godshall (togo at of.net):

> Anyone know how to tell the active window manager to reconfigure
> itself to a new resolution?  SIGHUP seems to be a convention for
> daemons but not for WMs.

Kill and restart it?

As a longtime fan of Window Maker, I notice that occasionally some of
its bugs get triggered, e.g., suddenly window focus behaviour breaks,
and so I select 'Window Maker' from the context menu to dynamically
change window managers, which SIGTERMs the current Window Maker instance
and launches a new one.

Yeah, it'd be nice to get one's WM to simply re-read its conffile, but
a half-second of odd screen redraws while the WM respawns gets the job
done.